COVID-19 Update: Clinic now open to all patients. Click here to read more

8 Hillside Brae, Gulberwick, Shetland, ZE2 9FD

Call Today 07747842185


What’s the difference between a podiatrist and a chiropodist?

In the UK podiatry is simply the new name for chiropody. The name was changed to podiatry in the early 90’s and this in part is due to podiatry being recognised as the international name. 

The profession itself has evolved over the years and students undertaking the under-graduate programme are required to study for 3 or 4 years while receiving over a1000 hours of supervised practice to treat a vast array of foot and lower limb problems.  Following the under-graduate programme many podiatrists go on to study at master or doctorate level if they have a specialist area they would like to practice in.

Following my undergraduate programme I completed a master degree that involved studying a range of specialist areas including pharmacology, biomechanics and tissue viability.  In my opinion learning should be lifelong and this is a registration requirement set out by the Health and Care Professions Council to ensure that members meet the standards expected for continuing professional development 


To get further updates and tips from Podiatry Shetland why not follow us on FacebookPinterestTwitter and Instagram